After losing 150+ pounds, you can just imagine how many people ask me on a daily basis what I did to lose it! I have said it many times before on this blog…that is a loaded question!
My intention for today’s blog is to give credit where credit is due! I haven’t lost one pound on my own! In fact, the best I could do “on my own” was to weigh 320 lbs. and have a very unhealthy mind and body!
We have a saying in my recovery program. God can and will do for me what I can not do for myself if HE is asked! This is absolutely the key!
This is the end to
- always searching to find a way, any way
- paying for something in the hopes it would work for me,
- studying hours on end trying to find an answer,
- reading the million books about either how to lose the weight or how to accept it,
- waking up each Monday morning with the hope that I can eat correctly today only to be lost in food by noon,
- feeling inferior every moment of my life because everyone else seemed to get this food thing right
- punishing myself by starving myself
- hating myself for whatever it was that was wrong with me
and the list goes on and on!
But God took it all away from me as soon as I gave it to HIM. So my part in all of this was to just give it to HIM! God did 99% and I did 1%!
Don’t get me wrong, I do not use GOD as a genie or anything. I grew up in a “you have just got to try harder” atmosphere. I was in a very religious household where we loved God and Jesus. However, I did not have any understanding of a “higher power” and how that works in your life. There was not much recognition of any power other than my own! If anything was going to change in my life, I was the one in charge of finding the way! Everything will be OK if I just try harder!
Left on my own, I would still be 320 lbs. or even more and I would still be unhealthy and miserable. Like any addiction, you need to rely on a power greater than yourself to recover. It has nothing to do with will power. It is more like my will to turn it over and God’s power to take it away from me.
Yes, I really do give ALL the credit to GOD! And I am so grateful to know that God’s miracles don’t just happen to everyone else BUT me because I am now included as a recipient of HIS miracles!