Before I identified myself as a food addict, I first found out that I was worshiping the god of food!
We were doing a study at my church called “gods at war” by Kyle Idleman (which I highly recommend his book) and we were asked some questions.
- Is there anything in your life that calls for a spiritual bonfire? My answer…My relationship with food.
- What needs to be tossed out so you can make more room and have more time to spend with Jesus? My answer…My relationship with food.
- What disappoints you? My answer…my size and my relationship with food.
- What do you complain about the most? My answer…my size and my relationship with food.
- Where do you make financial sacrifices? My answer…anything diet and food.
- What worries you? My answer…My size and my inability to control my food.
- Where is your sanctuary (where you go when you are hurting)? My answer…food, food and more food!
- What infuriates you? My answer…my size and my inability to control my food.
- What are your dream? My answer…to be free of the obsession I have with food and possibly live, even for just a day, in a right size body!
These questions are designed to help you see if you are serving any other god than the One who created you. As you can see by my answers that I was definitely serving the god of food!
It was when I realized this that I started searching for a solution and found that the term for what was wrong with me was food addiction!
It must be pretty important to God for us to not serve any other god since he put it first in the 10 commandments! I can see why! When we are serving any other god our access to our creator is blurred. We are not functioning at the capacity that God created us for and are unable to carry out His plan for our life!
If you asked yourself the above questions, do your answers show any kind of consistent pattern?